Ce Soir ou Jamais

tonight I write...or never

Wednesday, September 21

THUD!!

Did you hear that crash?

It was me! I just fell from a sugar high.

Sugary foods are pretty rare over here at Monkey Hill. Oh, go on, tell me what a horrible mom I am for not having on hand all the sugary, gooey crap that my daughter craves on an hourly basis. You're not the first to tell me so- my mom does it everytime she visits. "You know why that child can't wait to have some ice cream? Because you deprive her of what she needs! She is sugar deprived!" Hmmm...I didn't realize that sugar was a necessary part of a growing girl's diet! But I digress...I am not here to talk to you about how much sugar my daughter does or does not eat. I'm going to talk about my sugar comsumption.

I should preface this little bit by telling you that I am not a big fan of sweets. I take salty foods anyday. Though some of my favorite snacks do include some sweets, the times I actually eat them are few and far between. Until yesterday. And today.

Monday while grocery shopping, I discovered that my favorite Halloween candy, peanut M&M's, are now available in breast cancer awareness pink. Always out to support a cause, I purchased a pound bag to bring into the office to share with my coworkers. In addition to the pink candy coated chocolate covered peanuts, I purchased all the ingredients for my world famous chocolate chip cookies. It had been nearly 6 months since I baked a batch and decided that I needed to brush up on my baking skills. That evening my daughter begged and pleaded to open the bag of M & M's- a candy she only most recently discovered since, well, I deprive her!- and of course my answer was No!. ( I should let you know that my daughter does have some serious health issues with sugar and during the school year, we really need to keep her consumption at a minimum. For the sanity of her teachers and her parents.) (Yes, I know I said I was not going to talk about my daughter's use of sugar, but I know you are probably wondering why I didn't just open up the bag and let her have a few. Or maybe you weren't. I just felt like telling you anyway.)

So, no M&M's on Monday, but Tuesday was a new day and my friends in the office were happy to indulge in the new color, feeling good about getting a buzz so early in the day. The hours passed and the candy was forgotten, the bag rubber banded and placed in the corner of my desk. Tuesday after dinner, we fired up the KitchenAid and make ourselves a batch of good old fashioned chocolate chip cookies- my world famous variety. Each of us were permitted one warm cookie, then off to bed dreaming of more chocolate morsels melting on our tongues.

Being the generous person that I am, I brought in a dozen cookies today, again, to share with my co-workers.And also to keep away from my child. But as I sat down at my desk, ready for another challenging day, that bag of M&M's called out to me. It asked if I would add their consumption to my daily to do list. When was that last time I ate a half a pound of candy? Honestly, I couldn't tell you. But, by golly, if I can hit the goals put forth to me by my company, I can surely make my way through a half a pound of pink chocolately confections. Like I said, I am always ready for a challenge! And while I was at it, I decided to throw a cookie or two in the mix!

Around 10 this morning, I started feeling a little sick. Breakfast was, after all, 2 tall cups of coffee, a couple cookies, and about 1/4 pound of candy. Oh, only 1/4 pound, you say? Yup, the challenge was to eat the bag by the end of business day. I still had half the bag to go and I had heard that if you pair sugar with protein, your body is better able to absorb it without giving you those sugar side effects. You all know what they are. So I ran to the kitchen to grab my leftover chicken dinner. I ate lunch at 10:30 and felt so much better after having nearly a whole chicken breast in my gut. I was ready for the rest of the M&M's! And I am proud to say that I finished them off around 1:30 this afternoon.

But then I started feeling sick...and I was out of protein. I had trouble concentrating. I spent the last hour of my work day giggling and eavesdropping on my co-workers conversations. And wishing I had eaten more candy. And craving more candy. And giggling. And then the headache, and the irritibility, and the incessant whining. I cried to my cubemate, "How do little kids do this? I feel like shit. My stomach hurts and I can't poop!" He lamented and said that I just needed to run it off, like little kids do. But I was wearing 2 &1/2 inch heeled boots! I can barely walk, let alone run!

I left work cranky. I made it home in record time. I walked the dog and greeted my child and talked on the phone and tried on new shoes (my recent Nordstrom.com purchase arrived today!), and whined and complained....

And crashed.

No more, please, no more M&M's. I promise not to raid the child's Halloween bucket this year.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:17 AM, Blogger Vajana said…

    The M & M crash. It has happened to the best of them.

    Peanut butter M & Ms? Mmm hmm, that sounds good.

    I polished off a bag of Hershey's caramel kisses the other day.

     
  • At 10:04 PM, Blogger Lora said…

    I sooo understand. One nice thing about pregnacy is I would probably start to feel ill before I got to the second handful. No more sugar highs for me, so at least a while.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home