Ce Soir ou Jamais

tonight I write...or never

Friday, July 15

Stuff Portrait Friday!

Total 80's Flashback!

*Something from the 80's you can't let go of

*A picture of you from the 80's

*A CD or movie you have from the 80's

I have a preppy sweater that I cannot for the life of me *ever* give up. I call it my spirit sweater. I bought it in a *Benetton* store in a town called Salisbury near Stonehenge. I was 18 and it cost me a lot of pounds! It is really nicely made sweater and I have been wearing it around the house, to bed, or out for the past 16 years!


The spirit sweater from England~ 1989

I hardly have any photos of me from the '80's. I do have this one sitting on my desk here downstairs in the basement. It's from the night I met Robert Smith from the Cure. That little piece of paper I am holding has his autograph which read, 'Beans Love, Robert' Or it could say 'Bears'. I never could figure it out. And yes, I looked like that much through the 80's. My hair was died black in 1986 and stayed that way until like 1991!


Beans! Love, Robert

Finally, it's CD's from the '80's. Now, I got my very first CD player in 1988 and for the holidays traveled to LA to visit my paternal grandmother for the very first time. She treated me to a trip to Tower Records and these are but a few of what she purchased for me. I will never forget the guy behind the counter telling my little old Jewish grandmother that she had great taste in music. She was deaf and just replied with a 'Huh?' then looked to me and asked what he just said to her. Anyway, I got Jane's Addiction, the Cult, and Dark Side of the Moon. I had read that it was illegal to own a CD player and not have a copy of that album. In a storage unit somewhere in Maryland sits these same albums on vinyl.


The first CD's I ever bought~ 1988.

So there you have it! A little piece of my teenage years!

7 Comments:

  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger The Q said…

    That's pretty cool that a sweater lasted 16 years and still looks that great!

    Very nice pictures and SPF!

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger Vajana said…

    man I can't believe you have a picture with him. That's a pretty incredible thing to have. (wait a minute--memoirs...I think I'm catching on here...)

    I do believe it is against the law in several states to not have DSOTM. I have the '20th anniversary' edition that I bought from my ex-boyfriend's brother for $2. That's what happens when drugs are more important to you than your music, let that be a lesson. FOOL!!!

     
  • At 9:55 PM, Blogger Janet said…

    Thank you, Soozieq! You can't see in the photo, but the cuffs are frayed a bit.

    And vajana- get your mind out of the gutter. Robert Smith is *not* someone with whom I would want to be naughty. He used more hairspray and red lipstick than I did!

    See you on the dark side of the moon....

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger LeLo said…

    OMG OMG OMG: you met Robert Smith in person. That. Is. So. Hot.
    OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

     
  • At 8:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    WOW THAT IS THE BEST PICTURE EVER! I loved Robert Smith. I worshiped him. I scared my parents with a big picture of him in tons of makeup on my wall. *sigh* You are so cool.

     
  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    Okay you are too cool with the Robert Smith pic! i totally sent a link to your blog to my sister, she loved him and she will be insanely jealous.

    Great spirit sweater, too. Benetton was the height of cool.

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger Lora said…

    You met Robert Smith! I'm jealous. I did the black-goth thing briefly. I just wasn't cool enought for it. so I joined the earth muffin group instead.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home