Ce Soir ou Jamais

tonight I write...or never

Saturday, January 7

The agony and the irony

Are you a believer in fate, thinking that the mysterious power of destiny can shape and control your life? It could be called the same thing as karma, the golden rule- what goes around comes around. You know that I am a firm believer in that, however, I've been sitting on the fence with my thoughts on fate and destiny. Is there a mysterious power that can shape my life for the better? Or could it be irony? My own ignorance as to the coming fate?

For the past 12 years with my husband, we have steered along one path...a path that has led us to the exact spot where we want to be: strong relationship, financially secure, dedicated parents, karma in check.

Well, all my thinking and planning has gone to hell in a handbasket. We just bought another house that needs about 15K in repairs before we can rent it. OK, we can deal with that, even though we were looking for something that was completely turn-key. If it is meant to actually explode in our faces, then it will. We will learn from the experience.

Last month my husband had a vasectomy. It was something we both agreed on, having thrown back a shot of whiskey and a firm handshake. While his surgery was scheduled for the beginning of November, it got pushed back to December. Is it fate that directed his urologist not to be available for that extra 30 days? You might say so when you learn this:

I'm Pregnant.

How's that for a bit of irony?

What a learning opportunity this will be.

My mother said something to me the other day which brought tears to my eyes- and if you know my mom, she is not one to say warm and fuzzy things. She said, after a long pause, "Even though you always said you wanted only one child...you are such a kind and nurturing person that having another baby is only going to make your family stronger." By golly, not only did I start to cry, but then I realized that to my mom, learning about having another grandchild was like that scene in 'Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer', where Hermey the elf pulls out all the teeth of the Abominable Snowman and then he became all nice. Again...irony.

So, if you are a believer in karma, fate, destiny, would like to hear more similies about how my family's actions relate to those in the magical world of claymation, or love a good dose of dramatic irony, stick around Ce Soir ou Jamais (which you do know means 'it's now or never', right my Elvis fan friends?) for more updates. (And here you were getting all bored with my blog!!)

6 Comments:

  • At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Shut...up...

    Seriously? Whoo!

    *Does the happy dance for another family member*

    Ok, I'm calling later tonight, just let me get dinner cooking and some more of the exceedingly complicated PhD applications done. :)

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, my dear friend, call it what you will. Fate? Divinity? Nobody knows for sure, right? Though I have always believed that EVERYTHING happens for a reason.

    I also believe strongly that people who are "doing it right" (living well, loving well, raising fabulous kids) need to be the ones bringing kids into the world. Your mother had it right on about all that lovin' goin' on over there! And if we believe what Whitney Houston-Brown sang (not that she is living it, obviously)..."I believe the children are our future...teach them well and let them lead the way...show them all the beauty they possess inside...(you sing it girl...was that a song from the 80's???)" then you guys should have a houseful to help shape this 'ol world of ours.

    Congratulations to you all at Monkey Hill. We are so happy and excited for you! We can't wait to welcome a new little monkey to the 'hood.

     
  • At 10:24 PM, Blogger Lora said…

    OMG! OMG! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

    I'd call you, but it's way too late right now.

    I'm so happy for you!

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Everything happens for a reason, and maybe it's because you're such great parents that Fate or whatever decided that another child needed to be raised by your family. It's going to be interesting for you as you had the mindset of only one child, but I'm sure that you won't regret having another family member. Congrats, and enjoy the ride!!! :o)

     
  • At 8:00 PM, Blogger trinjoy said…

    Are you freaking kidding me?!

    I had a grueling 3-week run of a broken computer enabling only the use of David's desktop. I had no
    addy for Janet's blog there. The problem finally got fixed last night. So tonight I tune in, expecting some famous Boyer humor and see THAT! Good god! This MUST
    be a belated April Fool's joke!!! RIGHT?!?!

    Trin

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger Vajana said…

    Whoa.

    Wow.

    Uh, holey moley.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home