Ce Soir ou Jamais

tonight I write...or never

Sunday, November 6

The new man in my life

My husband has a co-worker who volunteers for Pasado as a rescuer. On her days off, she flies down to NOLA to help reunite animals with their owners, and care for the animals who are still homeless. A couple of weeks ago, my husband somewhat jokingly said, "If you have a golden retriever down there without a home, I'll take him." She thought he was kidding as I am sure she has heard all the trials and tribulations of living with another rescued dog, Ellie, but then said, "We do have a golden retriever without a home. Do you really want to adopt him?" Without hesitation he said Yes, then phoned me just to make sure it was kosher. How could I ever say no?

At midnight last night (this morning!) Dexter walked off the plane to be greeted by one of his new family members. Upon arrival at Monkey Hill, he immediately tried to befriend Ellie- who peed all over my leg and pooped on the floor. The cats ran for cover while he walked over to give me a hug. Dexter is a proper southern boy. He is kind and caring, says please and thank you, and calls me ma'am.
"Ma'am, I don't know anything about these *organic* treats. Y'all got some tater chips?"
This morning while making coffee (we didn't get to sleep till after 4:30 this morning as we chatted about our lives in between belly rubs), Dexter asked if I could make him a mint julep. Maybe later, my friend.

Dexter is very happy to make his new home in Seattle. He is an extremely affectionate dog, not realizing his 65 pounds, and thus likes to sit on laps. He cuddles in bed and pays no mind to Ellie's growling. For what he has been through- 5 days swimming through the flood~fending for himself before being found, losing his home and owner, then being kenneled for close to 2 months, he is a well adjusted canine. And *very happy* to be living on a hill.

Welcome to your new home, Dexter!

4 Comments:

  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger Lora said…

    Golden retrievers are great dogs. It may take Ellie a while to adjust, but I bet it will be good for him in the long run. Enjoy!

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger Vajana said…

    oh my gosh you rock Jbo! What an awesome thing to do! Dexter will be so thrilled to be at Monkey Hill.

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger The Q said…

    Oh yeah! How cool. What a lucky, LUCKY dog :-)

     
  • At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How awesome. So glad your fam and Dexter are happy together! And that was some very entertaining reading there, Jbo.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home