Ce Soir ou Jamais

tonight I write...or never

Friday, July 15

Don't *EVER* tell me that you are poor again.

I'm keeping this one short, even though it is a subject very close to my heart and I could spend hours actually talking to you about. No, it's not about shoes, so shut up! It's about poverty.

To give you a little background, I grew up not so financially well off. My mother was the single mother to 2 kids and worked her ass off to provide a rented roof and walls for us. Still, we went without and I distinctly remember the Christmas where I got an orange and a wind up toy and listened to my mom cry all day. I kid you not. My daughter has absolutely no clue how well she has it. (But I make her appreciate it every Christmas by telling her that story- one of the reasons she only asks 'Santa' for 3 things.)

Now that I am grown and have a home of my own, I find that I have a decent family life- drastically different from that of my youth. I don't have to tell my daughter that we can't buy groceries today because we can't afford them, or not be home at night because I have to work overtime to be able to pay the rent. I am thankful everyday for the bounty bestowed upon me. What I give out is definitely coming back in.

That said, there are still times when I feel I will not have enough money to cover things- petty things- and will whine to my husband telling him that I am so poor. He *hates* that I use that term to describe my financial situation. "What do you mean you are poor? Have you looked around this house? Your bills are paid, the fridge is stocked, and you just bought yourself another pair of shoes! I can't stand it when you use that term!"

He's right. I shouldn't just throw that word around when I am feeling sorry for myself, especially after I have visited the Global Rich List. Put's a bit of perspective on my pity party, eh?

2 Comments:

  • At 8:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I started saying that too after I quit my job last summer right before the baby was born. We went down to one income so I cut back on my clothing and shoe shopping habit, and we stopped eating out as much, and a few other sacrifices were made. Then a job changed moved us into a more expensive area and I thought we would have to downsize, but we were blessed enough to find the perfect awesome house. My husband's feelings were really hurt when I would say how I felt poor.

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger Cindy said…

    I go through the same thing. Really, we are truly blessed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home