Ce Soir ou Jamais

tonight I write...or never

Friday, March 24

I guess you want to know about the baby!

I feel like a horrible mom, not talking about my pregnancy, but honestly, there hasn't been much going on. Well, except the recent ultrasound where we were to learn about the sex of the baby!! (Please note the past tense version of 'are'.)

This past Tuesday, I had a second trimester diagnostic ultrasound scheduled. Upon meeting with Dawn, the ultrasound technologist at my OB's office (the one who was at the helm of the uncomfortable dildo ultrasound), she told me that her calculations had me at 17 weeks 5 days while the OB has me at 18 weeks 1 day which puts me on the cusp of having a readable diagnostic scan. What does this mean? It means that we may not be able to get proper readings on measurements, not to mention the crucial viewing of the private parts. So, my belly gelled up, we got a look at little one and immediately Dawn said, "I can already hear the radiologist, 'I can't see the four chambers of the heart, I can't see the lungs...' So you know what that means? We can't go on with this scan. Unless of course you have insurance that will pay for as many ultrasounds as you want."

I sighed.

My husband interjected, "Uh, I can see testicles."

Dawn glared at him. "No you can't. Trust me. You will have to wait another 5 days or so we can get an accurate reading."

It amazes me that just under a week can be so crucial in the growth and development and I have to trust the healthcare professionals who care for me aren't feeding me a line. So, I go to make an appointment for Monday when my husband and I start to have a conflict of scheduling and end up agreeing on Thursday.

Next Thursday!!

6 days to find out the sex. Oh. And to make sure that the heart is doing what it is supposed to be doing and that limbs are growing and toes aren't webbed, but really, all we care about is: Is it a boy or a girl?!!

It's the only argument we have: my husband really wants a son, because, well, he played football and went to a military academy and wants to share those experiences with someone who won't roll their eyes or say, 'Can we just play dolls now?'. My mom wants a boy because she only has granddaughters and wants a grandson. Though she did note while looking through Darian's closet that it is a shame all the lovely ball gowns (she gets a new one-sometimes two! every year for the theater) would never be worn again. Unless we had a girl. I want a girl because I am so in love with Darian and love raising a daughter that I actually think I am good at it. (Sidenote: Darian has told me that she thinks I am the best mom ever. I am getting that in writing to show her when she is a teenager.) Of course, whatever the baby turns out to be, I am going to love it unconditionally and be satisfied enough with my gene pool and parenting skills that whomever I give birth to will not turn out to be the spawn of Satan. One can only hope.

So, I have been banking on GIRL while my husband is rooting for BOY. We even have a bet: if I'm right, he buys me a new Coach handbag and if he is right, I search for an Xbox 360. So, tune in next Thursday to see who wins!
(Mom, I will be sure to call you first!!)

3 Comments:

  • At 11:04 PM, Blogger Random and Odd said…

    Put him in the dresses! that will show the hubs. :)

    AS LONG AS HE/SHE is healthy...and looks good in pink!

     
  • At 7:21 AM, Blogger Lora said…

    All gelled up and no place to go!

    They wouldn't even schedule mine until they thought I was at 20 weeks. Anyway from what I gather it's harder for them to be positive that it's a girl then it is that it's a boy so a little extra time is a good thing.

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger Vajana said…

    I have two girls. I would not know what to do with a boy. But I've been told they are DEDICATED to their mammas, so, that might be good.

    It will be interesting, that's for sure.

    Oh! Go to pregpool.com and sign up your friends for a pool!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home