Ce Soir ou Jamais

tonight I write...or never

Thursday, February 2

I just don't get it

My office is right next to Seahawks Stadium. From our conference room, I can watch the scoreboard, if I were so inclined. I have to park my car in a lot that is just south of the stadium, next to the Events Center, so in order to get back and forth to my car, I walk by the entrance and ticket booths to the stadium. Twice, sometimes 4, times a day.

Since returning last week, parking has just been nuts. People are scattered all about holding signs; a news crew is a permanent fixture in the parking lot. I wondered, 'What the hell happened here?' Each afternoon this past week, someone has approached me to ask, "Do you have any tickets?" In my mad rush to get to my car through the puddles and ever present rainshowers, I hardly stopped to answer. Instead, I would think, "Am I the only one who sees a ticket booth over there?" The other day I finally answered someone's question as I was making my way to my car. I answered the question with a question.

"Tickets to what?"

My husband filled me in: the Superbowl! He also said that he was surprised no one at the stadium harassed me for not knowing what the heck was going on. Well, lucky me!

How am I supposed to know anything about the Superbowl? I'm not a football fan, know nothing about football, and don't believe I have ever watched a Superbowl on TV. Wait a minute. I do recall when I was a teenager seeing a commercial for Budweiser that had a bunch of frogs croaking. So apparently, at one time in my life, I did turn on the TV to view the most watched sporting event in the history of the world.

My office has some kind of pool going on. It involves putting your name in a square on a grid (for the low cost of $5!) and during each half of the game- or quarter- whatever- the game's score is used as coordinates on the grid and who's ever name is in the square wins cash. I am the only person in my office not participating. The only one. Betting goes against my personal philosophy for earning passive income- Lady Luck need not be bought!

This Sunday my husband and daughter will be here, their favorite weekend spot during ski season. Though my husband is a football fan- his dad played college ball, ya know, and with an entire family from Texas, well, you can be disowned for not keeping up on the stats- skiing is just more important. Someone in my office today couldn't believe that.

What I can't believe is how crazy people around here are about football! I mean, 2 months ago I know for a fact that all the crazy people in my office building were not talking about the winning streak the Seahawks were on. Now they are sharing Superbowl Sunday 'Little Smokies' appetizer recipes, frequenting the pro shop for gear, and talking about the betting pool. Don't you people have work to do?

Sunday, I will be getting a brow wax and my nails done, then having an early dinner with one of my best girlfriends in the world. Sorry if you don't get that, internet, just as I don't get the fascination over a football game.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:19 AM, Blogger trinjoy said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 7:23 AM, Blogger trinjoy said…

    I KNOW! I told you about my bad-timing-hair-color-job, but it's ridiculous To fill anyone in: I just dyed my hair blue & green (not because of the Seahawks! I picked the colors two months ago). I can't believe all the comments! And I'm bummed that I'm currently not Miss Originality around here. Everyone seems to have a friend or neighbor who has the same dye job!

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Blogger Kami said…

    I just don't care so much about the NFL. I love me some college ball, though.

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger Random and Odd said…

    *hug*

    it's okay, i'm just going to pretend I didn't read this post okay?

     
  • At 11:38 AM, Blogger Vajana said…

    Same here. Never thought I'd marry a Football guy though. It's ok though, cuz he shares my obsession with baseball. Gotta give in to get some, I guess.

    I will be playing Dance Dance Revolution Sunday.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home