Ce Soir ou Jamais

tonight I write...or never

Tuesday, February 28

The Sea Inside

Recently, I was roped into signing up for Blockbuster Online. Actually, I was seduced by one of those pop ups that say 'Free Prada Handbag- and Matching Wallet!' Well, here I sit with no handbag instead I have 3 paper sleeves with movies that I am not sure why I selected. Yup, call me a sucker.

Today I am home sick with a very nasty ear ache. My head is throbbing, echoing (my husband thought that I could not hear him say that the echoing is due to a lack of matter inside the cranium- haha!), and all I want is to lay in front of the boob tube and eat soup. Sick days are the perfect time to catch up on movie watching and I decided I might as well take advantage of my $19.97 monthly fee and watch these movies that have been sitting here in the family room for the past 4 weeks. ( You get to keep the movies as long as you want!) What is most disconcerting about joining this service is the little paper packets the movies are delivered in: they are easy to lose among the recycling *and* they provide no indication whatsoever what the movie you chose is actually about.

I popped in the first film, having no clue what I was in for, and immediately started to get sleepy. (Another reason I don't rent movies- I fall asleep through every one. Every. One.) The opening to the movie, The Sea Inside, is a calming beach scene with narration in monotone Spanish. I was out almost immediately. I awoke sometime later hearing the Puccini aria 'Nessun Dorma'. Being a novice fan of opera, I am familiar with Turandot and this particular aria and I tell ya, everytime I hear it, I cry like a baby.

My husband came home with my soup to find me sobbing uncontrollably, questioning if my earache was really *that bad*. "I know what the movie is about, " I managed to say between heavy sniffs and heaving. "It's about people. /sob/ People. /sob/ With degenerative diseases." The tears came over me again like a flood in the south. "And the right to die with dignity, " I shouted, hot tears covering my face and streaming onto the floor.

"Oh, honey, " my husband tries to comfort me.

"And to top it all off.../sob/ /hiccup/ /sob/...it's *all* in Spanish and I'm too sleepy to read all the subtitles!"

"Oh, honey...that is just the worst. I am sorry you are having a bad day."

I'm mailing back that film tomorrow.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:24 AM, Blogger Lora said…

    Almost as bad as Kleenx commercials. Isn't this hormonal roller coaster a fun ride?

     
  • At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am a HUGE fan of foreign film! I got The Sea Inside, and loved it so much that I had to watch it twice! Sorry you fell lousy and you didn't give the flik a thumbs up.

     
  • At 9:32 AM, Blogger Vajana said…

    ah you have got to love pregnancy. Making you cry without notice. At least that's better when you pee when you sneeze, I did that too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home