Ce Soir ou Jamais

tonight I write...or never

Tuesday, March 14

The Tao of Darian

Tao Pronunciation Key (dou, tou)
n.

1. In Taoism, the basic, eternal principle of the universe that transcends reality and is the source of being, non-being, and change.
2. In Confucianism, the right manner of human activity and virtuous conduct seen as stemming from universal criteria and ideals governing right, wrong, and other categories of existence.


The other day my eight year old daughter was talking about popularity. It's a subject that really bothers her as there are several girls at her school who she says, 'think they are all that.' My daughter can't stand these girls. She has had an off again/ on again relationship with one little girl for the past 4 years. A lot of the reasons why they are 'off' have to do with what other people think of them. My daughter could care less.

"You know, Meghan and I aren't really friends anymore. You want to know why? She really gets on my nerves with talking about how popular she is because she is friends with Darla. Well, I'm friends with Darla, too, and it's cause we both like to play games and use our imaginations. I told Meghan, You know what? This isn't a popularity contest; it's elementary school!"

I think to myself that I am raising someone with strong core values and positive self esteem and I can't help but smile with pride.

She then says, "You know what, Mommy? I don't believe in popularity."

"Well, what do you believe in?" I ask.

"I believe in the bright side."

Wow. I'm left speechless and awed.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger Lora said…

    She's 8? I'm astonished.

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Blogger Vajana said…

    how on earth are 8 year olds talking about these things? The idea of popularity never even came into my frame of mind until at least 7th grade. Unbelievable.

    You child IS a bright side.

    Way to go on raising such a wonderful child!

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I knew that kid was smart. I wish I could have come to the same realization at such a young age.

     
  • At 8:18 AM, Blogger Kristina said…

    Good on Darian! That will serve her well when she moves onto the potential hellpit of middle school.

    Completely off the topic, but may I lovingly pick a nit? It's a pet peeve of mine and I find myself unable to resist mentioning it when I see it.

    "My daughter could care less."

    It's "couldn't care less." Most things in life are those one *could* care less about. If something TRULY doesn't matter to you, it's something about which you couldn't, could not POSSIBLY care less.

    Now, if you really want my head to explode, use the phrase "I could care less if you use the ATM machine or not." *grin*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home