Ce Soir ou Jamais

tonight I write...or never

Thursday, March 30

The Naming of the Child

Before we found out the sex of the baby, we had decided on names: Levi Piper for a boy and Lydia Piper for a girl. Keeping in the tradition of my husband's side of the family, the baby would be referred to by it's middle name. (My husband, our daughter, and her aunt all go by their middle names.) In telling friends, I got a lot of flack for wanting to call my son Piper: "Ya know, he's going to get beat up on the playground with a name like that." They are glad to know that Piper will actually be a girl.

Tonight my husband was on the phone with his fraternal grandmother, a woman who resides in Texas, has a very heavy southern accent, and is hard of hearing. This is a portion of their conversation:

"Grandma, we are calling the baby *Piper*."

"Pay-per?"

"No, PIPER."

"Pay-per?"

"PIPER!!!"

"Pay-per?"

"NO, Grandma! It's Piper! PIPER. Like your pipe, but with an er? PIPER"

"Oh....Paahh-per!"

Good lord....It was like that scene in 16 Candles..."Mallied?" "Mallied!"

5 Comments:

  • At 8:07 PM, Blogger Janet said…

    Spell check totally messed up this post! Sorry, but am republishing. What the heck is a Mallet?!!

     
  • At 4:44 AM, Blogger Vajana said…

    I cannot believe it. Piper is SO totally in the top 3 of our name list for girls! Darnit!!!

    Congratulations on another gal. They are soo soo much fun aren't they?

    I'm so excited for you, and yes, I'm ready to go shopping too.

     
  • At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations on the little girl. My brother-in-law called me today and informed me that his son and daughter-in-law just found out they are having a little girl. It looks like it is pink all around.

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I love that name. I almost named my daughter Piper, but my ex vetoed it.

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    Congrats - girls are the best :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home