Ce Soir ou Jamais

tonight I write...or never

Thursday, June 9

Sitting on the coach's couch

I am a really horrible speller. I should clarify: I am a horrible typist and transpose vowels all the time, therefore, it appears that I am an inept speller. I am so thankful for spell checker! However, spell checker will not correct words that are actually spelled correctly but used incorrectly in a sentence.

Take for instance the word 'couch'.

A couple of years ago, I was on this big shopping spree to furnish my new home. Granted it wasn't a big shopping spree- I was spending most of my money on fancy appliances for the kitchen, but I also wanted a fancy couch. Couch.

In all my correspondences with my friends regarding the color selection, the wait time, the service from the fancy furniture store, the different styles available to me, etc, I was calling my couch a coach. Coach.

"Wow, you can't wait to lay down on your new coach?" my friend had asked.

"What are you talking about? Coach? I don't play sports?!"

Oooohhh. My horrible typing. It's Couch. Couch. Not coach.

The other day my mom called me from one of my favorite discount department stores in Maryland. She knows how much I love shopping for shoes and when I was last there in August, I got 3 pair of fancy shcmancy shoes that retailed for close to $400 for a mere $60. My mom frequents this store about once a month, and I beg her to call me when she is in the shoe department and describe the selection. Sunday the selection was hot. There was Via Spiga and Coach-perfect pieces for the shoe whore that I am. I chose the Coach and ended up in a lengthy discussion about my shoe size and where shoes are made and how they fit and what size would best fit me. We ended up getting a size 7. I was feeling so loving toward my mom- she would be bringing me new shoes, along with my niece, next weekend for her visit!!

Yesterday I got an e-mail from her that said: 'Sorry but I am going to have to take the Couch Shoes back, ....'

Did my mom say 'Couch'? Couch shoes? Well no wonder she would have to take them back! A Couch on my size 7's? Far too big!

Coach. Coach.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger Lora said…

    I know, thank heavens for spell check. I'm dyslexic and I know I make many, many errors, but spell check definitely reduces them. I also love that little search window in Firefox so you can double check your spelling at Dictonary.com

     
  • At 5:44 AM, Blogger Janet said…

    Do you know how many times I had to correct coach and couch in this post? About 17!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home