Ce Soir ou Jamais

tonight I write...or never

Sunday, May 21

And All That Jazz

Darian and I just returned from an afternoon at the Paramount, sitting down in front (I really lucked out on fabulous seats!), enjoying the musical Chicago. During intermission, Darian noted, "Uh, there aren't any kids here and, uh, I think I know why. This is kind of a *PG-13* musical, right? But, it's OK for me to be here since I am with you."

Yeah, so I dragged my kid to a musical that is about murder, corruption, and a little screwin' around. Forget about that! I'm in it for the choreography and the music! Jazz hands! Fosse! I can't deny my kid those things! My husband thought I was crazy- not for taking our 8 year old to a racy musical, but for going to see it. Again. This is the third time in the past 12 years seeing this musical live; it's one of my absolute favorites. I compared the experience of going to the theater like going to a concert, but he doesn't buy it~ bands play new songs. Well this time round with Chicago, the set design had changed (there was no 'Hollywood Squares' type set), Roxie Hart's character was a little more goofy than I recalled, and Mary Sunshine was not so campy. That's the beauty of a traveling production: a new cast and crew to mix it up and make it seem like you are seeing it for the first time. I've never been disappointed.

Darian is now walking around the house in the midst of chores singing, "He had it comin'....he had it comin'..."

In other news....I'm going to have a baby in 3 months!! 3 months!!! Eeek!!!

3 Comments:

  • At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like the close with Darian walkin' around the house singin' "He had it comin'" You didn't tell me that part.

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I see nothing wrong with her seeing Chicago with her mother after all that is only preparing her for when she will be able to come to Baltimore and visit her Grandmother.

     
  • At 7:19 AM, Blogger Vajana said…

    Jazz hands baby!

    3 months!?! That's it? I'm so jealous. I still have 5.5 left! UGH!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home